View slides for this talk.
Many of the current discussions about burnout focus on solutions aimed at the individual. Can burnout be approached as a structural issue, instead of an individual one?
Scalability is the ability of a system to handle a growing amount of work, or its ability to be enlarged to accommodate that growth. What then, is burnout at scale?
Many of the current discussions about burnout focus on solutions aimed at the individual. Can burnout be approached as a structural issue, instead of an individual one? And, can we find solutions to prevent or mitigate burnout that can scale to meet organizational needs?
The aim of this talk is to encourage you to think about systemic approaches to burnout.
- Identify mismatches between a job and a person that can lead to burnout
- Understand the dimensions of burnout
- Learn about the processes that organizations can take to address burnout
Complete list of references
- Using FontAwesome in Keynote (or PowerPoint)
- Animated gif of fire!
- Burnout is a Myth
- Overcoming Burnout: 10 Steps to Reignite Your Flame and Shine Brightly Once More
- Prescription for Burnout: 5 TED Talks That Can Help You Beat Burnout
- 11 TED Talks to watch when you’re feeling totally burned out
- @alimacio: “we should talk about systemic causes of burnout, in our workplaces and organizations”
- The Truth About Burnout: How Organizations Cause Personal Stress and What to Do About It
- Photo of Christina Maslach
- The Stanford Prison Experiment: Still powerful after all these years
- Photo of Pandemic board game
- Effective DevOps: Building a Culture of Collaboration, Affinity, and Tooling at Scale
- Maslow’s hierarchy of needs
- @supersole: “Honestly, I’m also quite motivated by cash and it’d be nice to stop thinking of sw devs as aspirational ascetics”
- Conquering Burnout
- My Little Pony
- What is Job Crafting and Why Does It Matter?
Not referenced directly, but worth checking out:
- Burnout in tech panel at Velocity 2015 Santa Clara
- Preventing Burnout in Your Organization (I got the video from ebay)
- Reversing Burnout: How to rekindle your passion for your work
- Early Warning Signs of Burnout: Interview with Christina Maslach (podcast)
- Burnout: 35 years of research and practice
- Efficacy or inefficacy, that’s the question: Burnout and work engagement, and their relationships with efficacy beliefs